Dickey's Decor

Home, Garden and More

Monday, January 14, 2013

Nautical/Sports/Cowboy/? Dresser

We are getting back in the swing of things around my house. School started Monday and we went back to work. Ugh. In our house the next two and a half months are the "quietest" of the year. Nothing to do. BORING, according to my kids. Don't get me wrong, I am not sitting around twiddling my thumbs. Basketball will start up soon, acting class will begin and I am taking an IPad class, so we will have things to do. However, most nights are open.
This is the time of year when I get stuff around the house done. Two years ago I knocked out the laundry room "makeover" and the bathroom was spruced up. Last year I painted and gussied up the entryway. What to do this year? Tile the bathroom floor? Begin painting my kitchen cabinets? Paint the hallway and add some character? Or should I simply finish all of the furniture sitting in my garage so I can park in it again.
As of right now I am going with the last one. I rolled down my sleeves (it was 32 degrees outside), put on some cheap gloves and began painting.  It was so cold I could see my breath as I painted. The portable heater helped a bit, but when I finished I was numb.
It was worth it:


I picked this dresser up at my secret auction. I think I paid $16 for it. The drawers worked and it was sturdy. I decided it had a masculine feel to it. I mixed my magical chalk paint concoction up with Sherwin Williams Sea Serpent. I thought about doing rope handles (they seem to be all the rage right now), but decided the old handles looked fine, especially with the exposed wood top. The top is      . For the top coat I did the dresser in Annie Sloan Soft Wax and the top is coated with wipe on poly.
I can just see this bad boy in a little boy's bedroom. It would fit with a nautical theme, cowboy motif, pirate paraphernalia, baseball (GO RED SOXS) and more.



I am planning on selling it via Craigslist or a local Facebook group I am a member of. I keep waffling back and forth on the next step to take with Dickey's Decor. Do I rent a booth at a local antique mall? Do I try to do several local shows like Junk Salvation or Plucky Maidens? Do I put more effort into selling things via Craigslist, etc? I need to make some decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment