Dickey's Decor

Home, Garden and More

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Failed Business Venture & Luckett's Green

I agreed to give a holiday bazaar another go this year. My husband's school was hosting one again and I figured it was a good way to get out of cleaning the house on a Saturday. I had a lot of inventory from this summer and had been making some Christmas items over the past few weeks as well.

I decided I needed something to help display my wares. I remembered this shelf I picked up at the auction for $2.


It was sturdy, but did not have the actual shelves. I pulled out my handy dandy circular saw and cut my own. I knew I was going to use a peppermint pink chenille bedspread as my tablecloth and thought Ms. Mustardseed's Luckett's Green was the perfect coordinating color.



This is not my entire booth, but this is what the shelf looked like. I kept the shelves a natural color for two reasons. First, I thought it would make them stand out and second, I ran out of paint. (Okay so they really weren't painted for the second reason.)

I didn't do too well at the bazaar. I made my table fee back and a little more. The traffic was slow and I know my items aren't hot sellers in the area we live in. I have so many people tell me I really need to take my stuff to antique shops in different areas of Portland where they will sell quickly. I know this is true, but I just haven't made the time to get serious about it. Maybe this year I will (do I have my first New Year's Resolution?).

I am pretty sure I will be selling this shelf after the holidays. For now it is sitting on my porch and is looking lovely next to the red Adirondack chair.

Here is one of my favorite pieces from the bazaar that didn't sell:



It is an old bread tin. I glued mica flakes to the back and bottom for snow. I added some vintage lace, a glitter/tinsel embellished house and some bottle brush trees. It is so cute and because it didn't sell it looks great in my vintage inspired front window.

1 comment:

  1. That is so pretty! And, I think your friends are probably right. Go for it, girl!

    ReplyDelete