Dickey's Decor

Home, Garden and More

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Silver Lining

Recently we had a few stormy days that caused a huge 9 inch diameter branch to fall from one of our large Douglas Fir trees. Fortunately, the branch did not hit our house, but it did take out one of my beloved Japanese maple branches as well as a limb from my Pee Gee tree. The limb remains in my front yard because my husband lent our chainsaw out thus until it is returned we have no way to cut it into smaller pieces.




I have a love hate relationship with these trees. They provide great shade, but they are a mess. In the spring "pollen pellets" fall from them for a few weeks and in the fall and winter the needles are everywhere.
Yesterday we had BEAUTIFUL weather. It was crisp and clear with no wind. I spent time planting 126 tulip and narcissus bulbs and began cleaning up the yard for winter (better late than never). As is usually the case I began to tinker with other things and one thing led to another and soon I was finishing the outdoor decorating for the holidays. I decided to add some greenery to my big pots by the front door and just as I was about to hop into the car I realized i had plenty of greenery lying in my own yard. I cut some limbs off and stuffed them into my planters  and next added some of the beautiful red and chartreuse green twigs from my maple. I sprinkled in a few other decorations and suddenly I was done. Well sort of. I need to find some contrasting greens, and maybe some reds, and maybe some of this and that. I guess I need to get into the car and go for a drive after all.

I guess this problem actually became beneficial. Anyone want some greenery? I know where you can find some.

Sit down and enjoy the view (of the big limb lying in my yard)

Merry Merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment