Dickey's Decor

Home, Garden and More

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Ralph Lauren Isn't Just For Polos

It started back when I was in 7th grade. I discovered Ralph Lauren and fell in love. I was a prep. I wanted only Ralph Lauren polo shirts, but my parents absolutely could not afford to deck me out in such high style. When I got to college, and had my year of credit card indiscretion, I purchased my share of RL. I still remember my tartan plaid RL shoes...wish I hadn't of ruined them at a crazy party!
Anyway, nearly seven years ago when we bought our house I fell in love with Ralph Lauren paint. I painted our living room wall with a beautiful metallic blue paint over the textured wall paper. I still love that wall.
I picked this buffet up for a song at a salvage store. They don't typically have furniture, but on this day they did. I fell in love with the Bake Lite tortoise shell handles. It sat in my garage for awhile waiting for me to find some inspiration. I decided to go big and pulled out my RL metallic paint. I believe the color is Regency.
I mixed up my secret chalk paint recipe and went at it. I was a little concerned it may not work since this was a metallic paint and is similar to a glaze, but it went on like butter. I only needed one coat and when the paint dried I liked it, but didn't love it. Ugh.The only retailer of Annie Sloan in the Portland area is about 20 miles from my house. I debated on using something else, but in the end I made the trek to The Purple Pear to pick up a tub of dark wax. I am glad I did.




I ended up leaving a strip of wood because I thought it played off the handles well. I really wanted to keep this piece, but alas I let it go. In fact, it was one of my first sales at the trunk show. The buyer also purchased an end table done in the same color. The good news is I have plenty of paint left so I think I see a lot of Ralph Lauren in my future. Too bad he is making clothes in China these days...

1 comment: