Dickey's Decor

Home, Garden and More

Sunday, March 24, 2013

First Gradient Attempt

I picked up a waterfall dresser recently off of Craigslist. It was pretty cheap and the post said it wasn't too far from my house.
I arranged to pick it up and plugged the address in my navigator as I backed out of the driveway. OH. My. Gosh. I hate it when people say they live somewhere, but embellish the truth. Vancouver? Try nearly La Center (a good 10 miles further that advertised). Too late to turn back now.
When I arrived at the destination it was a trailer park. The unit was at the very end of the park. It was dark. The good news was the dresser was sitting on the porch (along with a ton of other stuff).
I told my student's this story and they all pointed out I was stereotyping. Awesome, I taught them something.

I loaded it in the back of my Volvo (I need to think of a name for my car) and headed home. I had taken the hardware off and had started to sand it when my friend and her children arrived to visit. As they were leaving, her youngest Soma told me I should paint it pink. Sweet Soma's suggestion of pink got me thinking. I have been intrigued by the onslaught of gradient dressers in Blogland. I think they are interesting, but don't think they would fit in with my current decor.  I wasn't planning on keeping this dresser so my first gradient attempt resulted in this:



I used Sherwin William's Amour and a random Valspar sample I had from their giveaway a year or so ago. I like the results, but think I could have started out darker and made the color differences more clear.

I spray painted the handles with brushed nickle and top coated it with Annie Sloan clear soft wax. I meant to get some better pictures, but it sold and I forgot until I was unloading it at the customer's house. I hate it when that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment