Dickey's Decor

Home, Garden and More

Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Dog By Any Other Name

I don't brag about my cooking too often, but I have to admit my Dickey Dogs are doggone good. Dickey Dogs? Well I didn't come up with that name (any of my friends remember who did?). Wiener wraps, pigs in a blanket, whatever you choose, but at my house we call them Dickey Dogs because our last name is Dickey and we like alliteration (ahem, my blog title, my kid's names, my dogs).
Anyway, these babies are great for a crowd and aren't hard to make. I make them in the fall a lot for Halloween and Harvest parties and for big football games.
I remember eating these back in elementary school. I had not had one for ages. One day my friend asked me if I wanted to go eat lunch at her grandmas. Of course, I love grandmas. I went and she served wiener wraps. My mouth watered, I was in heaven. Grandma gave me the recipe and I have been making them ever since. Her dogs are still better, but then again she has had years of practice on me.

Here is the recipe:

1 Package yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/3 Cup warm water (105-120 degrees)
6 Cups flour
4 Tablespoons melted butter
2 Teaspoons salt
1 2/3 Cups Milk

Steps-

1. Place yeast, sugar and water in measuring cup for five minutes to activate.
2. Put flour, butter, salt and milk in KitchenAid (you can use a Cuisinart or other mixer too) with a dough hook and mix.
3. Mix for a few minutes.
4. Let the dough rise for about 90 minutes.
5. Take out a chunk of dough and flatten out.
6. Place a dog in on the dough and wrap that baby up.
7. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

This recipe will make about 12 large sized wraps. It all depends on how much dough you use on your dogs AND how much raw dough your kids eat before you finish.

Here are some pictures:



Dough flattened out. Do you see my Demarle (aka Silipat)? I love their products. They do in home sales and I really should sell it, but I'm not into that kind of thing. Maybe I should blog about that one day.


Mmmm. Good.


A final word of dogs. You get what you pay for here. These babies work best when I get the good dogs. I suggest Nathan's, but they aren't cheap. When I know I am going to be making a lot of them I will go to Cash and Carry (our restaurant supply store) and buy a case. If we are feeding a bunch of kids I will go with whatever is on sale, but they really aren't as good as Nathans. I often will make an "adult" batch and a "kids" batch. By the way the dough can also be used for rolls or bread. Here is my Ode to Nathans. We visited there last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment