Dickey's Decor

Home, Garden and More

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Annie Sloan...I Wanted to Hate You

After being an active lurker of blogs for the past year and a half I admit to reading  a lot about this lady named Annie Sloan and her paint. She seems nice and all, but after all she is British and you know they can be a bit fancy over there. Plus, the exchange rate isn't working in our favor right now. Anyway, I finally broke down and drove the 17 miles to downtown Portland's Purple Pear (http://moonstone-designs.com/purple-pear). I bought two sample sizes in Antoinette and Paris Grey. I hadn't planned on it, but I could not resist the soft wax so it came home with me too.
Phyllis, the owner of the shop, had several pieces for sale that used Annie Sloan and even showed a partially done piece with a shiny poly on it simply painted over with sample colours (had to get some British English in there somewhere). I asked, "I really don't have to prime?" Nope. I immediately came home and busted out Antoinette on a small wood and wicker bench (?) I have been waiting for some inspiration on. Here she is:




Isn't she lovely? I wish I had a white and pink Rachel Ashwell inspired bedroom to put her in. Alas, my two Boston Terriers and their fur have other plans in mind (not to mention my husband).

I loved the paint. I really loved the paint. I wanted to hate it, but just couldn't. I hate the price. I am going to continue experimenting with homemade recipes for now, but will buy more Annie Sloan to use on special projects. I will note that Sherwin Williams paint has almost the same consistency and you know how I love those boys. As for the wax, I don't think I will ever go back to my Minwax. Sorry to dump you, but Annie Sloan Soft Wax is just that good.

A final look from the side...


We had record setting temperatures here in the Pacific Northwest this weekend so my plans were adjusted. Here is what I plan on working on when the weather returns to it's norm:


Here is another project I am working on. Notice my Sherwin Williams paint on top of the dresser? I still love Color to Go from them. Annie hasn't become a drug for me just yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment