Dickey's Decor

Home, Garden and More

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Cheap to Chic

A few weeks ago my good friend called me and said her mother-in-law had some furniture she wanted to get rid of. Did I want it?
I jumped in the Volvo and rolled over. They gave me a few things including a particle boardish cabinet. I am sure this piece came from K-Mart (he worked there for years) and it wasn't something they spent a lot of money on. It was utilitarian and in immaculate condition like everything they own. It had served it's purpose and now was moving on...to me.

At first I envisioned this piece in a creamy white with some blue accents of some kind. However, lately I have been digging the turquoise/sea blue look that is popping up. I had a can of Beyond Blue (Sherwin Williams of course) and decided to go for it. I mixed up my secret concoction of chalk paint to see if it would work on faux wood. It did!



I painted it with two coats and let it sit overnight. I also sanded a few spots off to make it look distressed. Today I wiped a coat of acrylic teak stain I watered down over the entire thing. I thought this toned down the blue a little and made it a bit more rustic. Finally I put a coat of Annie Sloan soft wax on it and buffed it out. I love how it turned out and hope plan on selling it at my trunk show. Speaking of my sale. I am now storing furniture on my front porch because I have not room for it. Our house is beginning to look like a furniture store. YIKES!

I did take some time today to stop and smell the roses...


No comments:

Post a Comment