Dickey's Decor

Home, Garden and More

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Vintage Christmas Boxes With a German Flair

I have professed my love for Bethany Lowe here several times. How can you not love something that looks like this:


Pintrest.
 I am getting ready for a Holiday Bazaar and after lessons learned last year I decided to focus on Holiday decorations. My style of crafting is manic as I tend to sell many different projects as opposed to "mass producing" one thing. Thus, so far I have made stockings, a few banners and these:




Bethany Lowe inspired Christmas box

I had several gold boxes stashed away in one of my many craft closets (one day I will have everything in one place). I painted them a light pink and blue. Next, I added festooning I recently purchased off of Amazon. What is festooning? It is the tissue paper fringe around the band of the box lid. Festooning isn't cheap and it is difficult to find. I have ordered some from vendors on Etsy in the past. I LOVE them, but for a single color festoon Amazon was the place to go. I paid $1.19 for a twelve foot length. I stocked up on it at this price!
The houses were purchased last year at Wal-Mart after Christmas. I believe I paid .40 for them. They were a basic cream with a silver roof. I added German glass glitter to them to fancify them. I found these great mini-alphabet rubber stamps at Wally World as well. They were only .97 and the fonts are my style.


Glitter bottle brush trees
  These trees were also found at Wal-Mart. I bought an entire bag (not sure how many were in it) for $7. I bleached them and added some glitter. I am going to try dying some this weekend. Wish me luck.

Another view


This house has a German flair to it. The glitter is German Glass and the vintage paper is in German as well. I can say one thing for the German's they know how to make fantastic decorations for Christmas. This box has tinsel garland around it's lid band. I picked this up after Christmas at Target. This is one of those crafting items that can be marked up quite a bit  when you can find it. Here is a link to some on Etsy: (http://www.etsy.com/listing/94469405/vintage-inspired-metalic-wired-tinsel?ref=sr_gallery_19&ga_search_query=tinsel+garland&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all)

My local ENORMOUS fabric store, Fabric Depot, has carried it for .19 a yard in the past, but I couldn't find it there recently. I have found the best place to get it is in the Christmas wrapping section when things go on clearance.

 This is my attempt at a German Glass glitter crown I spotted on MissMustardseed's blog. Her's is much better than mine. I am going to try to make a few more of these as large Christmas ornaments.
First attemp...


A change in lighting

Here is Miss Mustardseed's:


 Here is a link to her tutorial: http://missmustardseed.com/2012/10/glitter-crown-tutorial/


All three of my pieces together.
 The bazaar will be December 8th at Margaret Scott Elementary located at 14700 NE Sacramento St.
Portland, OR 97230. I beleive the hours are 9-4. I will continue to share some of my creations throughout the next few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Your creations are just gorgeous! I love all of the glitter and wonderful embellishments you used. I bleached some bottle brush trees the other day, and have been glittering and flocking them. It's so much fun! Good luck with your show:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been bleaching bottle brush trees also. I dye mine with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist. Your creations look just like my true vintage German ones. You should sell out quickly! Thanks for sharing for beautiful glittery items.

    ReplyDelete